[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 30 most recent journal entries recorded in
[ << Previous 30 ]
[ << Previous 30 ]
|Dammit why wasn't I informed!
Yeah, so, apparently LJ has a Jabber server going that I never knew about. Hrmph. Anyway, a few clicky clickys with Trillian and that's added for all one of you that seem to have it going as well. :)
Went back to visit the folks and friends two Thursdays ago... came back last Tuesday with the nastiest case of ebola black monkey SARS flu you can ever imagine. It kept me on my back until pretty much Saturday.
I'm just now starting to feel even remotely normal.
Anyway, for those of you whom I haven't responded or emailed to in a while, that would be why. Bleh.
|And since I see the scores all below, lets figure up LQ today:
LQ = 15(F) + 22(O) + 17(R) + 13(I) = 67.
|The Common Sense Party
I've been thinking, I need to start a political party called the Common Sense party, since it seems to be lacking so badly in politics these days.
A few of the founding principles of the CSP:
This has been rumbling around in my head for a while, and I'm sure I've forgotten some of the things I wanted to add. That, and I'm at work and under a tight deadline.
- Amend the 4th Amendment to read, in part, "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, effects, and privacy, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." (bold changes mine). I'm certain lawyers would argue what "privacy" means to death.
- You remember the 1st Amendment? Especially that whole seperation of church and state bit? Marriage is part of that, and somewhat related to the privacy bit above. Marriage started as a religious ceremony. Now, if a group of people (note: no mention to genders or even to number) want to have their lives joined as one, be responsible for any resulting children, share in all other responsibilities, then yes, the Law should allow and account for that. Don't call it marriage - its too charged of a political term - but its end effect is the same.
- Posessing something should not be illegal. Now, for those of you that don't know me that well, I've never done drugs, don't intend to, etc. However, I think being able to throw someone in jail for something they have and are keeping to themselves and poses little reasonable risk to others just by his having hit is wrong. Posessing, say, The Anarcists Cookbook should not be illegal. Acting on some of the things in it should be. Posessing a few kilograms of plutonium should probably be included in 'illegal' side. Prohibit manufacture or selling if you must Do Something.
- 95 year patents are stupid. Even 14 years can be argued against with the pace that science and such are Trying to achieve in this day and age. Patents still have a use, and do still need to exist, but anything longer than the original 14 is a hard argument to make.
- War is something not to be taken lightly. That's about all I have to say about that for now.
- An energy policy that makes bloody sense. We're finally starting to release permits for new nuclear plants, which is fine (even if they are older third-generation ones - I would love to see some fourth-gen breeder reactors), but other renewable resources need to be explored much further. The solar farm just north of Las Vegas is a great start.
- Get a national budget policy that makes sense. Combine this with item #5 and say "No deficit outside of times of war." Combine this with a requirement to pay off the national debt in 20 years, and then to maintain a year's operating surplus.
- The length of the federal revenue tax code (Title 26) is around 16,000 pages. This is ridiculous in the extreme. Personally, I'm a proponent of a national sales tax with a exemption covering the lowest quartile of the population (so if the 25% mark is, say, $25,000, then that's the exemption). See also www.fairtax.org. Implementation is trickier, but taking it out at the register and sending back to each tax-payer at the end of the fiscal year a check for the exemption amount is probably easiest, and reduces the paperwork for tax time to zero.
- I remember when I could meet friends at the gate in an airport, walk them through what might be an unfamiliar terminal to them, and generally help them relax after a long flight as opposed to the additional stress that causes. Beef up enough security checkpoints to handle guests if you must, check ID at the boarding gate if you must.
- Not to sound bitter, but I think any member of the CSP will be prohibited from using 9/11 as an excuse or justification for anything. Yes, it was a horrible day, but so was the San Fransisco earthquake, and in the end should have about the same chance of occurring. Personally, I think "securing the cockpit" was about the only needed change, and really should have been done a long time ago. The rest... is silly. Screen for large explosives, and keep the cockpit secure. Put an armed air marshal on every flight. Problem solved without all the rest.
What do you all think of the CSP? Additions? Changes? Deletions?
Keep the debates civil. :)
I'm in Anaheim until Thursday for Cisco Networkers.
Anyone out there want to come entertain me? :)
|Primal screaming within...
Yeah, so, for the past YEAR I've been having problems with my Linux server here corrupting data. And not just a little - it can't copy a 700 meg ISO file and end up with the same checksum (and usually corrupts the filesystem in the process).
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard. This has 2 parallel IDE connectors, each with a 40 gig IDE HD hanging off it, and 2 SATA connectors (driven by a SiI 3112 chip) with (right now) 1 300G SATA HD and 1 250G SATA HD. All of the facts are important.
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+. prime95 for days says it's fine.
1G of Corsair RAM. memtest86+ for a day and a half says it's fine.
PCI cards: SiI 3114A card with 3 more 300G SATA HDs. It should be noted that ONLY DRIVES OFF THIS HAVE CORRUPTION. So, obviously, bad card? Bzzt. Tried replacing it, SAME PROBLEM.
RTL-8169 gigabit ethernet card. This problem predates its inclusion
Matrox MGA 2164W Millenium II PCI VGA graphics card. This problem predates its inclusion as well.
So, here are some other data points:
I've already swapped motherboards, CPU, and RAM.
Drives off the parallel IDE connectors and the on-board SATA connectors are fine - no corruption occurs. It should also be noted the same driver is used for the onboard ports as the add-on card.
Booting to a Knoppix 5.1 CD shows the same problems.
/READING/ is fine (i.e. I can read the same file 50 times and get the same md5sum). /WRITING/ causes the corruption.
The corruption happens no matter what filesystem I try (ext2, ext3, reiser, xfs). (This does mean I've reformatted, etc. several times, so its not a metadata problem)
This happens with at least 3 different drives (the 300 and the 250, different manufacturers), with different SATA data cables, power supplies, power cables, etc.
Now, here's the kicker. Booting to an OpenBSD kernel, and using one of the 300G drives off the 3114A card (the ones that show corruption under Linux) /WORK FINE/.
So, I'm sitting here, scratching my head, going W....T....F....
This looks like it HAS to be a bug in either the Linux sata_siil driver not being able to really handle multiple 'cards', or perhaps something lower level. Anyone out there have any other clues as to things I can try? Posting to, say, the linux-kernel mailing list is very likely to get me absolutely no-where.
|Right, so annathepiper been going on and on about nethack the past couple days, so I'd thought I'd give it a try again... after trying to find the byzantine keyboard commands (and how to turn number_pad on (hit O for options...)), and going for about 20 turns, picking up a pair of boots and a scroll, and putting on the boots, I finally hit inventory:
a - a blessed +1 quarterstaff (weapon in hands)
b - an uncursed +0 cloak of magic resistance (being worn)
n - a +2 pair of speed boots (being worn)
i - 2 uncursed scrolls of remove curse
j - a blessed scroll of enchant weapon
o - a scroll labeled NR 9
k - a blessed spellbook of force bolt
l - an uncursed spellbook of cure blindness
f - an uncursed potion of healing
g - an uncursed potion of speed
h - a blessed potion of see invisible
d - an uncursed ring of polymorph control (on right hand)
e - an uncursed ring of teleport control (on left hand)
c - a wand of striking (0:4)
m - an uncursed wooden flute
Now, the rings may be good or not (they SEEM very useful :) ) but why on earth do I have spellbooks for spells I already know?
Heh, yes, I am a TOTAL Nethack newb. I played Moria on the Amiga long, long, LONG, LONG, *LONG* ago, but remember nothing. Not to mention, nethack is a little more involved, it seems....
I suppose I'll find out why its gassing on about it being a new moon, too... Or I suppose I could google it, but what would the fun be in that.
Userpic also courtesy of annathepiper.
|Linux and boot drive mirroring...
So, maybe someone can answer this... my server went down for about 20 hours today? Why? Because EVEN THOUGH my boot drive is mirrored (across hda and hdc, on seperate ports and cables, etc.), hda decided to take a dump. Since the drives are mirrored, the system should just shrug and email me a nasty message (I know this much works) and keep working. Right?
Instead, the system froze up, and just spewed
hda: lost interrupt
On the console screen, along with another line about a data error on hda.
Which is fine, but is also why I MIRRORED THE DRIVES.
Incredibly, INCREDIBLY frustrating. I swear, between crap like this, and the fact that the developers are going just completely batshit insane with the 2.6 kernel instead of making a 2.7 and doing batshit insane stuff there (oh, making stable kernels is the responsibility of the distro makers, sorry, I forgot) I'm considering checking out some of the BSDs.
Shame none of them that I've seen have a package system worth a damn (compared to apt for Debian, which is what I currently use).
|Weird thing, and a search for information
Long, long ago, in a state far away (from where I live now), I was an avid BBSer. In Indianapolis, there was a BBS named Neverest Mountain that ran on some custom software. It was a game - you'd log in, answer trivia questions to gain mana (I think that's what it was called), and use mana to ascend the mountain and to knock other players down it.
I /used/ to remember the name of the software that ran it, but not any more. Anyone else out there know, or have heard of something similiar (nameless perhaps? Although I don't think you played that...)
EDIT: The software MAY have been called Neverest Mountain, if this post http://groups.google.com/group/alt.bbs.doors/browse_thread/thread/6fd46915619184f6/3f0c221329d15654#3f0c221329d15654 is anything to go by... but Google isn't being terribly friendly to me tonight besides that.
|So a couple days ago was my 30th birthday...
This fact got released to some coworkers at work...
Some... very... bored... coworkers...
( My poor cube...Collapse )
|GitS: 2nd Gig Opening
How is it Ghost in the Shell: SAC (and SAC: 2nd Gig) have some of the best (in my own opinion, of course), opening themes devised, both musically and in the lyrics?
I ESPECIALLY like 2nd Gigs. Apparently its a mix of Russian and English. A copy of the lyrics posted before (clipped) mainly for my reference later, but in case others are looking (or want to verify the language - the character set is certainly cyrillic).
( Save us the spam!Collapse )
|I have lived through 90 (0x5a) of these 163 things.
Stolen from nameless
1. Add one to three items of your own.
2. Put numbers in the boxes instead of -'s (example: 1, 2, 3, 4, ...) If something is "sort of" true, or "might apply, if ...", put two question marks.
3. Repost as "I have lived through ___ of these XXX things."
 I have read a lot of books.
[--] I have been on some sort of varsity team.
[--] I have run more than 2 miles without stopping.
 I have been to Canada.
[--] I have been to Europe.
 I have watched cartoons for hours.
 I have tripped UP the stairs.
 I have fallen down an entire flight of stairs.
 I have been snowboarding/skiing.
 I have played ping pong.
 I swam in the ocean.
[--] I have been on a whale watch.
 I have seen fireworks.
[0a] I have seen a shooting star.
[0b] I have seen a meteor shower.
[0c] I have seen auroras (northern lights).
[--] I have seen midnight sun.
[0d] I have almost drowned.
[0e] I have been so embarrassed I wanted to disappear.
[0f] I have listened to one CD over and over and over again.
 I have had stitches.
[--] I have had frostbite.
[--] I have licked a frozen pole and got stuck there.
 I have stayed up til 2 doing homework/projects.
 I currently have a job.
[--] I have been ice skating.
 I have been rollerblading.
 I have fallen flat on my face.
 I have tripped over my own two feet.
[--] I have been in a fist fight.
 I have played videogames for more than 3 hours straight.
 I have watched the Power Rangers.
[--] I attend Church regularly.
 I have played truth or dare.
 I have already had my 16th birthday.
[1a] I have already had my 18th birthday.
[1b] I've called someone stupid.
[1c] I've been in a verbal argument.
[--] I've cried in school.
[--] I've played basketball on a team.
[--] I've played baseball on a team.
[--] I've played football on a team.
[1d] I've played soccer on a team.
[--] I've done cheerleading on a team.
[--] I've played softball on a team.
[--] I've played volleyball on a team.
[--] I've played tennis on a team.
[1e] I've been in the marching band.
[1f] I've been swimming more than 20 times in my life.
[--] I've bungee jumped.
[--] I've climbed a rock wall.
[--] I've lost more than $20.
 I've called myself an idiot.
 I've called someone else an idiot.
 I've cried myself to sleep.
 I've had (or have) pets.
[--] I've owned a spice girls CD.
[--] I've owned a britney spears CD.
[--] I've owned an N*Sync CD.
[--] I've owned a backstreet boys CD.
 I've mooned someone.
[--] I have sworn at someone of authority before.
 I've been in the newspaper.
[--] I've been on TV.
[--] I've been to Hawaii.
 I've eaten sushi.
[--] I've been on the other side of a waterfall.
 I've watched all of the Lord of the Rings movies.
[--] I've watched all the Harry Potter movies.
[--] I've watched all of the Rocky movies.
 I've watched the 3 stooges.
[--] I've watched "Newlyweds" Nick & Jessica.
 I've watched Looney Tunes.
[--] I've been stuffed into a locker/I have stuffed others into lockers.
[2a] I've been called a geek.
[--] I've studied hard for a test and got a bad grade.
[2b] I've not studied at all for a test and aced it.
[--] I've hugged my mom within the past 24 hrs.
[--] I've hugged my dad within the past 24 hours.
[--] I've met a celebrity/music artist.
[2c] I've written poetry.
[--] I've been arrested.
[--] I've been attracted to someone much older than me.
[--] I've been tickled till I've cried.
[--] I've tickled someone else until they cried.
[--] I've had/have siblings.
[2d] I've been to a rock concert.
[2e] I've listened to classical music and enjoyed it.
[2f] I've been in a play.
 I've been picked last in gym class.
[--] I've been picked first in gym class.
 I've been picked in that middle-range in gym class.
[--] I've cried in front of my friends.
 I've read a book longer than 1,000 pages
[--] I've played Halo 2.
[--] I've freaked out over a sports game.
 I've been to Alaska.
[--] I've been to China.
[--] I've been to Spain.
[--] I've been to Japan.
 I've had a fight with someone on AIM.
 I've had a fight with someone face-to-face.
 I've had serious conversations on any IM.
[--] I've forgiven someone who has done something wrong to me.
 I've been forgiven.
[--] I've screamed at a scary movie.
[--] I've cried at a chick flick.
 I've watched a lot of action movies.
[--] I've screamed at the top of my lungs.
[--] I've been to a rap concert.
[--] I've been to a hip hop concert.
 I've lived in more than 2 houses.
[3a] I've driven on the highway/been on the highway.
[3b] I've driven more than 40 miles in a day/been in a car that went more than 40 miles in a day.
[3c] I've been in a car accident.
[--] I've done drugs.
[3d] I've been homesick.
[3e] I've thrown up.
[--] I've puked on someone.
[--] I've been horseback riding.
[--] I've filled out more than 10 myspace surveys.
[3f] I've spoken my mind in public.
 I've proved someone wrong.
 I've been proven wrong by someone.
[--] I've broken a leg.
[--] I've broken an arm or a finger.
 I've fallen off a swing.
 I've swung on a swing for more than 30 minutes straight
[--] I've watched Winnie the Pooh movies.
 I've forgotten my backpack when I've gone to school.
[--] I've lost my backpack.
 I've come close to dying.
[--] I've seen someone die.
 I've known someone who has died.
[--] I've wanted to be an actor/actress at some point.
[--] I've done modeling.
 I've forgotten to brush my teeth some mornings.
 I've taken something/someone for granted.
 I've realized how good my life is.
[--] I've counted my blessings.
[4a] I've made fun of a classmate.
[4b] I've been asked out by someone and I said no.
[4c] I've been asked out by someone and said yes.
[--] I've slapped someone in the face.
[--] I've been skateboarding.
[4d] I've been backstabbed by someone I thought was a friend.
[4e] I've lied to someone to their face.
[4f] I've told a little white lie.
[--] I've taken a day off from school/work just so I don't go insane.
[--] I've fainted.
[--] I've had an argument with someone about whether cheerleading is a sport or not.
 I've pushed someone into a pool.
 I've been pushed into a pool.
 I've been/am in love.
 I've numbered something in hexadecimal just for fun. (I have now! Mohahahhahaha!)
 I've spent a weekend roleplaying.
 I've learned to play a musical instrument.
[--] I've been in a movie. (My wedding was recorded.)
 I've watched golf on TV for more than five minutes.
 I've voted in an election.
 I've watched more than one episode in an anime series
 I own at least one tape/DVD of anime
[5a] I own at least one series of anime
|Things I learned watching "Hero"...
1) Gravity is controllable by the individual, to any strength ranging from -9.81m/s^2 to +9.81m/s^2, and any angle theta and phi.
2) Water has the consistency of Jell-O(tm).
3) Swords are flimsy enough to bend at right angles in midflight yet return to their original form at the end of the swing.
4) Swords, however, also exert some sort of invisible surface area, capable of distorting wind currents.
5) 30 archers a row. 6 rows of archers. 3500 arrows in a volley.
6) Arrows never, ever, go all the way through a soft, meaty human body, even if fired with enough force to cover an approximate half mile. They always just go a few inches in and stop, the rest sticking out.
7) Deep sword thrusts into the body produces only a trickle of blood.
More as I think of them.
|Finally, it's all come together!
Courtesy of the Plan generator
Your objective is simple: World Domination
Your motive is a little bit more complex: Hatred for all mankind
To begin your plan, you must first Assassinate a Rich and Powerful CEO. This will cause the world to sit up and take notice, stunned by your arrival. Who is this Sadistic Fiend? Where did they come from? And why do they look so good in Classic Black?
Next, you will Destroy New York. This will cause countless hordes of Robot Warriors to flock to you, begging to do your every bidding. Your name will become synonymous with Dear God No, as lesser men whisper your name in terror.
Finally, you will Demonstrate your Opening of the Seven Seals, bringing about a 1984 Police State. This will all be done from a Medieval Castle, an excellent choice if we might say. These three deeds will herald the end, and the citizens of this planet will have no choice but to elect you their new god.
Trust us, it'll all come together in the end.
|So what's been going on Blargh?
Short answer: Not a whole heck of a lot.
Cleaned the apartment over the past weekend with some help from the girlfriend. Much cleaner now! Also rearranged some furniture to make everything flow a lot nicer and opens the place up substancially! Woot!
Been toying with some web page projects but every time I start to settle down on one I decide it's utter garbage and start over again. Graphic designer I am Not.
Been tinkering with some MUSH code on a test MUSH, part of the now epic saga that is The Code Rewrite. Ugh.
Went and saw Miss Saigon last Thursday with the girlfriend. Had good seats, good show.
Went to a friend's wedding in Indianapolis a few weekends ago, in which I played the roll of a groomsman. Was good to see people from college. (Sorry nameless, I had absolutely zero free time to swing down by you. :( ). Memo, me: 1) Get insoles next time a tux is rented - those shoes SUCK. 2) Dancing sucks. 3) Remember to poke bride about getting copies of the pictures.
Everquest has gotten a little boring... 65th wizard with 105 AA... cutting back a lot on it in favor of some other projects.
nameless, you mentioned System Shock 2... Wanna give it a try over the 'net? I forget if its kludged in multiplayer uses TCP/IP or IPX/SPX though. Either way can be worked around though.
That's about all for now.
I was sitting here thinking. We have a large number of users who just cannot seem to comprehend the Windows NT login prompt. Just... cannot handle it. And sit here and try, I just cannot fathom what is so hard about "Username", "Password", and "Domain". Domain, okay, sure, but considering it's usually set correctly (and usually only has 2 options anyway)....
Perhaps its because I've been working with computers for 20+ years now, but I just cannot fathom how on Earth people could have such intense difficulties understanding that their username goes into the Username field (and no, Administrator, or the name of the last person there, or their real name will not work - please use the text you chose for username that's printed in 36 point letters on that piece of paper you were given) and that their password goes into the Password field, and that it will be hidden so no one else can see it on screen (which doesn't help much, since the password is also on that same piece of paper in 36 pt letters)...
Smelling (and seeing) your teeth burning as a dentist is doing fillings is not a pleasant experience.
|LQ score: F(7) O(0) R(14) I(10) = 31.